NanoWizard® NanoOptics version - cutting edge technology to study nanooptical phenomena
The NanoWizard® NanoOptics A AFM is optimized for a broad range of applications ranging from nanoscale optical imaging by aperture and scattering-type SNOM to experiments involving interactions of light with the sample such as absorption, excitation, nonlinear effects and quenching.
The new NanoWizard® NanoOptics A head comes with excellent physical and optical access to the sample from top and bottom as well as from front and side, even when the head and condenser are in place. Additionally, it has an integrated port for fiber SNOM applications.
Because stability and reproducibility of the SPM-tip positioning and scanning are vital for applications requiring the collection of single photons over a long time period, the system has been optimized for it. Improved closed-loop control on 5 or 6 axes and highest scanner resonance frequency in z deliver a scanner performance previously not available in a commercial AFM. This ensures highest data quality for imaging and force measurements in air and liquids.
The new Vortis™ A Advanced SPM controller delivers cutting edge values for noise levels, data acquisition speed, and maximum versatility. Advanced electronics and software for multiple feedback controls, highest bandwidth and access to all signals combined with the ability to work with user-written scripts are all key elements for successful experiments. Synchronization of AFM and spectrometer data is achieved by a user-friendly software interface.
The NanoWizard® AFM is designed for optimal use in liquid and comes with a vapour barrier, encapsulated piezos and a variety of dedicated liquid cells. The system may also be used in air or controlled gas environments. Flexibility in the software and the range of accessories make the system ready for any user-defined experiments. The newly developed fiber coupled detection module for sensitive detectors such as APDs and PMTs delivers outstanding results in terms of stray-light suppression.
Optical near-field experiments
Aperture fiber SNOM experiments
An integrated fiber SNOM port in the NanoWizard® NanoOptics A head and the Tuning Fork module A allow hassle-free integration of techniques.
Scattering-type SNOM (sSNOM) experiments
The new system is perfect for tip-enhanced applications such as fluorescence with nano-antennas made of nanofabricated or chemically modified tips.
Nanomanipulation in optical fields
The new system is ideal for studying optical surface properties of dyes and markers, quantum dots/rods or metamaterials such as quenching or plasmon generation in combination with topography, nanomechanical, electrical and magnetic properties. Thanks to the symmetric design of stage and head as well as the latest closed-loop scanner technology in a 5- or 6-axis configuration, long-term stability and reproducibility reach the highest possible level.
Key components and basic parameters for Raman/TERS/BioTERS experiments
Tip and sample scanner combination
- NanoWizard® head (3 scan axes) and TAO™ sample scanner module (2 or 3 scan axes) on top of an inverted microscope integrated into a Raman spectrometer
Suppression of optical cross talk between AFM and Raman excitation/signal
- 980nm laser source in the AFM
- Blocking and cleaning filters in the AFM head
AFM stability over long time
- High performance closed-loop scanners and symmetric design of AFM head and stage
- Coverslip based fluid cells with temperature control and fluid exchange for highest stability in combination with oil or water immersion objectives
- Synchronization between AFM tip and sample position, and Raman signal recording in the JPK software
- JPKs proven algorithm to find the perfect tip position in the focus of the high-NA objective lens
- Large variety of AFM/SPM operation modes
- Vortis™ A Advanced controller with highest speed and lowest noise with a large number of signal channels accessible with the Signal Access front panel
- Easy-to-use and fully featured JPK software for advanced experiments for beginners and experts
- Raman Reflector Kit for TERS on opaque samples
NanoWizard® NanoOptics A setup with
 Acton Advanced SP2750
 Renishaw inVia and
 Jobin Yvon LabRaw HR
TERS mapping on fixed single human colon cancer cells (HT29 in liquid); Raman data analysis by hyperspectral unmixing algorithm N-FINDR. From: M. Richter, M. Hedegaard, T. Deckert-Gaudig, P. Lampen, V. Deckert: “Laterally resolved and direct spectroscopic evidence of nanometer-sized lipid and protein domains on a single cell”, Small 7(2): 209 (2011).
Advanced fluorescence techniques and Time Correlated Single Photon Counting (TCSPC)
Simultaneous AFM and FLIM measurements on nanoparticles. Scan size 800nm².  3D height information with fluorescence signal overlaid in green.  Lifetime signal.
Complementary techniques to AFM, such as epi-fluorescence, confocal laser scanning microscopy, TIRF, FRET, FCS, FLIM, FRAP, STORM, PALM, STED, spinning disc, etc., give insight about the behavior or location of particular features.
It is now possible to routinely combine AFM imaging and force measurements with these optical methods on the same sample spot simultaneously. The images show the NanoWizard® AFM combined with a Picoquant MicroTime 200 FLIM system and with a Zeiss LSM 700 confocal laser scanning system.
- Head in 2 versions available
- UV transparency version for top view sample illumination with UV-light
- Fiber port version for fiber SNOM applications
- Highest stability and lowest drift for long term experiments
- Up to 6 axes closed-loop scanning (3 by tip and 3 by sample) with the TAO™ module
- 980nm laser source for cantilever deflection detection prevents cross talk with other wavelengths
- Special filter sets for blocking and cleaning inside
- Also versions for 2-photon microscopy available
- Compatible with most commercially available inverted research microscopes (Zeiss Axiovert and Axio Observer lines, Nikon TE and Ti lines, Olympus IX line and Leica DMI/DMi lines
- Seamless integration with inverted microscopes, Raman spectrometers, photon counting systems
- Optional PI PIFOC® module for independent vertical focus positioning
- Coverslip-based sample holders for air, inert gases, liquid and with electrical sample connection
- Flexible Vortis™ A Advanced SPM controller with the largest variety of signal channels
- Wide range of operation modes and accessories such as Tuning Fork, Conductive AFM, Fiber SNOM, Raman Reflector Kit and fiber coupled detection module